Dear Pennoyer Families:
Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year!! I am excited to have students back in our classrooms and hallways filling them with energy and enthusiasm for learning. It is our goal to help every child feel welcomed, connected, and part of our Pennoyer family. This summer brought a few changes to our Pennoyer staff. I’d like to welcome:
- Ms. Therese Gaffney- First Grade
- Mrs. Meghan Loring- Third Grade
- Mr. Todd Browder- Middle School English/Language Arts (ELA)
- Mrs. Mary Govertsen- Music
- Mrs. Alicia Schmeisser- Director of Student Services
- Weronika Dudkiewicz- Speech Pathologist
Along with many new staff….. we have a few teachers who are stepping into different roles this year.
- Mrs. Diana Dylag- Kindergarten
- Mrs. Meagan Darland- Kindergarten
In an effort to keep Pennoyer as safe as possible for all students and staff, a new visitor management system called LobbyGuard has been installed in the school office. This is an all-in-one touchscreen kiosk. All visitors to Pennoyer will have to scan their photo ID into this system before entering the building. This system runs all visitor names through state databases. Upon completion of this process, a visitor pass (including photo) will be printed. This pass must be worn at all times by all visitors in the building. As we work to keep our campus as secure as possible, another change this year is that the gates to the back playground will remain locked until the dismissal bell rings. At that time, parents may walk around back to pick up their student. Thank you for understanding that as always, the safety of our students and staff remain our highest priority.
The phone system at Pennoyer has also recently been upgraded. Our classrooms are now all equipped with telephones and teachers have voicemail capabilities. When calling Pennoyer, parents will hear a menu of options and will need to select the extension for whom they wish to to speak. Parents will now be able to input teacher extensions and reach teachers directly. If a parent calls during instruction, they will be directed to voicemail and the teacher will return the call.
Open House/Curriculum Night will be held on Wednesday, Sept. 5th at 6:30pm. This is an opportunity for parents to learn more about Pennoyer’s instructional program. All parents are encouraged to attend. Please note this evening is geared toward adults. Band registration will also take place during Curriculum Night. Mrs. Brittany Rennels will be returning to Pennoyer as our band teacher and will be in the MPR that evening to answer questions.
Parent informational meetings for Washington DC (8th grade) and Camp Edwards (5th grade) will also be held this evening and will run 6:00-6:30 pm.
As in the past, the Salvation Army, Chester Street (the side street running perpendicular to our parking lot), and the parking lot west of school is available for parking when dropping off or picking students. The gas station across the street is not available for parking. Cars parked there will be ticketed and towed. The circle drive will have barricades up, as this area is reserved for the school bus and preschool parents only.
Pennoyer’s Preschool Program begins on Thursday, August 23rd.
All preschool parents will be provided with a Pennoyer School Preschool Pass and will only be allowed to pull into the circle drive for morning drop off when presenting this pass to the staff member at the gate.
- Parents with preschool students attending the AM session: 8:10-10:40 am
- Parents are able will to pull into the circle drive after 8:00. This is because the bus is not able to make the turn into the drive when cars are parked near the entrance. Parents ARE able to pull into the drive at preschool dismissal (10:40am).
- Parents with preschool students in the PM session: 12:00-2:30 pm
- Parents are able to pull into the driveway at drop off (12:15 pm). At dismissal, parents are NOT able to pull into the driveway until AFTER the bus pulls in at 2:20pm on Mon/Tues/Thur/Fri. This is because the bus is not able to make the turn into the drive when cars are parked near the entrance. Please note Wednesday dismissal for the entire school is at 2:30 pm. Parents are NOT able to pull into the drive until AFTER the bus arrives at 2:10 pm.
For the safety of all children, we ask that parents cooperate and support our efforts.
First Student continues to provide bus service to all Pennoyer students who have paid the bus fee. All bus students have been issued a bus pass and must show this pass to ride the bus.
I am excited that this school year is now underway. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns. The Pennoyer school office phone number remains 708-456-9094.