6:160 Instruction-English Learners
Pennoyer School District #79 6:160
The District offers opportunities for resident English Learners to achieve at high levels in academic subjects and to meet the same challenging State academic standards that all children are expected to meet. The Superintendent or designee shall develop and maintain a program for English Learners that will:
1. Assist all English Learners to achieve English proficiency, facilitate effective communication in English, and encourage their full participation in school activities and programs as well as promote participation by the parents/guardians of English Learners.
2. Appropriately identify students with limited English language proficiency.
3. Comply with State law regarding the Transitional Bilingual Educational Program (TBE) or Transitional Program of Instruction (TPI), whichever is applicable.
4. Comply with any applicable State and federal requirements for the receipt of grant money for English Learners and programs to serve them.
5. Determine the appropriate instructional program and environment for English Learners.
6. Annually assess the English proficiency of English Learners and monitor their progress in order to determine their readiness for a mainstream classroom environment.
7. Include English Learners, to the extent required by State and federal law, in the District’s student assessment program to measure their achievement in reading/language arts and mathematics.
8. Provide information to the parents/guardians of English Learners about: (a) the reasons for their child’s identification, (b) their child’s level of English proficiency, (c) the method of instruction to be used, (d) how the program will meet their child’s needs, (e) how the program will specifically help their child learn English and meet age-appropriate academic achievement standards for grade promotion and graduation, (f) specific exit requirements of the program, (g) how the program will meet their child’s individualized education program, if applicable, and (h) information on parent/guardian rights. Parents/guardians will be regularly apprised of their child’s progress and involvement will be encouraged.
Parents/guardians of English Learners will be informed how they can: (1) be involved in the education of their children, and (2) be active participants in assisting their children to attain English proficiency, achieve at high levels within a well-rounded education, and meet the challenging State academic standards expected of all students.
LEGAL REF.: 20 U.S.C. §§6312, 6314, 6315, and 6318.
20 U.S.C. §6801 et seq.
34 C.F.R. Part 200.
105 ILCS 5/14C-1 et seq.
23 Ill.Admin.Code Part 228.
CROSS REF.: 6:15 (School Accountability), 6:170 (Title I Programs), 6:340 (Student Testing and Assessment Program)
First Reading: October 11, 2017
Adopted: November 8, 2017